Duration : Half day 4-5 hours || Full day 7-8 hours (approx.)
Jewish Heritage Tours in Istanbul, begin of Sephardic history at the Galata Quarter, a region which had been almost completely Jewish for more than 400 years. Today, Galata is known throughout the world by its huge tower, built in 1303 by the Genovese. Visit the Galata Tower, the office of the Chief Rabbinate is also located in Galata today, there are 16 Synagogues in Istanbul that are still in use.
First, visit the Neve Shalom Synagogue, used for most of the community functions today, as well as the Ashkenazi Synagogue dating from the nineteenth century and the only Ashkenazi Synagogue in Istanbul, originally built by the Austrian Jews. Stop at the Zulfaris Synagogue, which now also serves as the Museum of Turkish Jewish Museum since 2001. Its name comes from the street where it is located, which was called Zulf-u arus (present day Percemli Sokak) in Karakoy, which means “Bridal Curls” in both versions, as it was here that the brides, over the centuries, would walk by to go to the synagogue to get married. “Half day tour returning to where the tour concludes”.
” Full day tour ; You will continue to Lunch at a local Seafood Restaurant. (Lunch fee is not included) Drive to Balat, a Jewish working-class district on the shores of the Golden Horn, which absorbed most of the settlers in the fifteenth century from Spain.
Visit the recently restored Ahrida (Ohrid) Synagogue, originally built in the 15th century and is the earliest synagogue in Istanbul. The original 20-foot long oak bimah (teva), shaped either like Noah’s Ark or, like the Ottoman ship which brought the Sephardim to freedom from Spain to Turkey, can still be seen. Then visit the Jewish Cemetery before returning to where you tour concludes.
Half Day Tour Price
Full Day Tour Price
- Some Synagogues may not be accessible at the time of your tour. We need your full name, birthday and passport copies by email or fax in order to get the special permission for visiting the Synagogues in Istanbul.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability.
- At time of booking, Cruise Ship passengers must provide the following details under Special Requirements: Ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time.
- Children 6-18 years must be accompanied by an adult
- Please enter your preferred pickup time in the Special Requirements box at the time of booking, and reconfirm 48 hours prior to the tour’s departure time.
- Ephesus requires walking long distances over uneven surfaces, comfortable clothing and closed toe, sensible walking shoes are recommended. Sunglasses and sunscreen are suggested.
- We will ensure your timely return to the Kusadasi or Izmir port for this activity. If you are not returned to the ship in time to board, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call.